Kenton Elementary students participate annually in districtwide and statewide testing. This information helps us assess the overall achievement of our students, school, and the rigor of our curriculum. Standardized tests provide a yearly opportunity to take a snapshot of a student’s performance as compared with the achievement levels of students across the district, state, and nation.
On Monday, December 7th and Wednesday, December 9th third grade students will take the new Ohio Third Grade English Language Arts Assessment for the first time. This assessment determines if your child is reading on the appropriate grade level. It is administered twice during their third grade year, once in the fall and once in the spring. Ohio’s Third Grade Reading Guarantee states students must achieve a proficient score on the reading section of this test in order to be promoted to the fourth grade.
Students are well prepared for this assessment and know what to expect. We are hoping the following suggestions will help your child to do his/her very best:
- Make sure your child has plenty of rest the night before.
- Make sure your child eats a good breakfast high in protein, not sugar. We will also provide a breakfast like snack before the test.
- Reassure your child before coming to school that she/he will do great!
- Make sure your child is not hurried or late the day of the test. Please make sure your child is here by 8:00 AM.
- If your child wears glasses, be sure to send the glasses to school with your child the day of the test.
- If your child is on medication, please make sure she/he take it the day of testing.
- Dress your child in layers. Students do better on tests if they do not have to think about how hot or cold they are.
- When your child gets home from school, ask about the test.