Tuesday, October 7th is a very important day for your child. This is the day the Ohio Third Grade Reading Achievement Test will be administered for the first time. This assessment determines if your child is reading on the appropriate grade level. It is administered twice during their third grade year, once in the fall and once in the spring. Ohio’s Third Grade Reading Guarantee states students must achieve a score of 394 in order to be promoted to the fourth grade.
Your child is well prepared for this assessment and knows that to expect. We are hoping the following suggestions will help your child do his/her very best:
- Make sure your child has plenty of rest the night before.
- Make sure your child eats a good breakfast high in protein, not sugar. We will also provide a breakfast like snack before the test.
- Reassure your child before coming to school that he/she will do great!
- Make sure your child is not hurried or late the day of the test. Please make sure your child is here by 8:00 AM.
- If your child wears glasses, be sure to send the glasses to school with your child the day of the test.
- If your child is on medication, please make sure he/she takes it the day of testing.
- Dress your child in layers. Students do better on tests if they do not have to think about how hot or cold they are.
- When your child gets home from school, ask about the test.
Please encourage your child to do his/her best!